Friday, March 31, 2017

Women's History Month 2017: A Bibliography

Library of Congress http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/wwipos/item/2002708941/

Thank you so much for joining me for this month long look at our World War I era female ancestors. I hope you found something of use and are inspired to tell the story of your female ancestor's  lives. Below is a bibliography for additional resources and history.


Brown, Carrie. Rosie's Mom: Forgotten Women Workers of the First World War. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, 2002.

Brown, Nikki L. M. Private Politics and Public Voices: Black Women's Activism from World War I to the New Deal. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006.

Early, Frances H, and Frances H. Early. A World Without War: How U.S. Feminists and Pacifists Resisted World War I. Syracuse, N.Y: Syracuse University Press, 1997.

Ebbert, Jean, and Marie-Beth Hall. The First, the Few, the Forgotten: Navy and Marine Corps Women in World War I. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 2002.

Gavin, Lettie. American Women in World War I: They Also Served. Niwot, Colorado: University Press of Colorado, 1997.

Graham, John W. The Gold Star Mother Pilgrimages of the 1930s: Overseas Grave Visitations by Mothers and Widows of Fallen U.S. World War I Soldiers. Jefferson, N.C: McFarland & Co, 2005.

Greenwald, Maurine W. Women, War, and Work: The Impact of World War I on Women Workers in the United States. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 1980.

Hall, Margaret, Margaret R. Higonnet, and Susan Solomon. Letters and Photographs from the Battle Country: The World War I Memoir of Margaret Hall. , 2014.

Hayden-Smith, Rose. Sowing the Seeds of Victory: American Gardening Programs of World War I. Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 2014.

Haytock, Jennifer A. At Home, at War: Domesticity and World War I in American Literature. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 2003.

Higonnet, Margaret R. Lines of Fire: Women Writers of World War I. New York, N.Y: Plume, 1999.

Jensen, Kimberly. Mobilizing Minerva: American Women in the First World War. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2008.

Kennedy, Kathleen. Disloyal Mothers and Scurrilous Citizens: Women and Subversion During World War I. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1999.

Schneider, Dorothy, and Carl J. Schneider. Into the Breach: American Women Overseas in World War I. New York: Viking, 1991.

Steinson, Barbara J. American Women's Activism in World War I. New York: Garland Pub, 1982.

Thom, Deborah. Nice Girls and Rude Girls: Women Workers in World War I. London: New York, 1998.



2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Gena, I saw where you did a presentation for Legacy on Arizona research. I haven't watched the presentation but I wanted to let you know about the largest genealogical library in Arizona - The West Valley Genealogical Society in Youngtown, AZ. We acquired over 1,000 items from the collection that was disposed of by the state when they dismantled the Arizona State Genealogical library. Part of that collection included 27 books of obituaries which we are in the process of cataloging and digitizing. Our website is www.azwvgs.org. We currently have over 500 active members; I am the membership registrar. Let me know if I can share any other information!
Bonnie Belza
bonnie.belza@gmail.com
membership@azwvgs.org

Lisa S. Gorrell said...

Gena, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. https://mam-massouthernfamily.blogspot.com/2017/07/blogger-recognition-award.html. Thank you for your interesting blog. I always learn something interesting.